Parent/Guardian and Student Responsibilities
- Make sure their children get to and from the designated stop safely.
- Providing supervision that is appropriate to the student’s age, maturity, and conditions that exist to and from the stop.
- Selecting their children’s walking routes to and from bus stops.
- MUST have a responsible person at pick up and drop off location for Pre-K and Kindergarten students.
- Provide alternative transportation for their students if oversize objects or live animals must be transported to and from school, or when a student's bus riding privileges are suspended.
- Know their children’s bus identification letter/number and stop location.
- Know the bus rules and review them with their children.
- Direct walk route safety concerns to the municipality or home association or law enforcement agency responsible for the specific location/area.
- Students are NOT permitted to ride a bus other than their assigned bus. Assigned students have priority for transportation. If a child needs to go to a friend’s house, parents must make alternate transportation arrangements.
AT THE BUS STOP
- Arrive at the bus stop 10 minutes prior to the scheduled pick-up time.
- Buses cannot wait for late students and will not return to pick them up when they have missed the bus.
- Stay off the roadway while waiting for the bus.
- Wait until the bus comes to a complete stop before getting on or off the bus.
- When crossing is necessary and permitted, a student will always cross 10 feet in front of the bus after waiting for the driver’s hand signal.
- NEVER get mail or go to the mailbox while the school bus is at the bus stop.
- Students are not permitted to get on or off a bus at a different time or stop not assigned to them.
- Vehicles are required to stop a minimum of 20 feet away from the bus.
STUDENTS WHILE ON THE BUS
- Occupy their seats and refrain at all times from moving around in the bus.
- All belongings, including band instruments, are to be held on the student’s lap during transportation.
- Behave in a manner that allows the driver to safely operate the vehicle.
- Obey the bus driver at all times.
- Keep your entire body inside the bus at all times.
- Talking is NOT permitted on railroad tracks.
- Avoid loud, inappropriate, and/or profane language. (Use "inside voices" to prevent driver distraction)
- No eating or drinking on the bus.
- Damages to any bus should be reported to the driver. Students will pay for any damages they cause on any bus.
- Students will never throw anything inside the bus or out the window of a bus.
- Students may not possess or consume alcoholic beverages.
- Students shall not possess/smoke any type of tobacco, vaping device, or any other drugs on the bus.
- Students shall not possess or use cigarette lighters, matches, or other flammable items on buses.
- Weapons of any kind are not permitted on a school bus.
- Public displays of affection are not acceptable behavior and will not be tolerated.
- Never tamper with bus equipment.
PROHIBITED ON THE BUS
- Live animals/insects
- Hockey sticks/ bats/ golf clubs
- Nerf/water toys
- Anything made of glass
- School projects with objects that could be considered dangerous, such as sticks, toothpicks, sharp objects, chemicals, etc.
- Food or drinks including water bottles
- Large band instruments that take up space on the seat
ADDITIONAL HEALTH AND SAFETY RULES
Seats will be assigned by the driver, and students must comply. Siblings will be assigned to sit together in a seat.
Not riding the bus for 4 consecutive days will result in being removed from the route and asked to re-register which may result in being added to a waiting list.
We have implemented a 3-STRIKE policy. Any violation of the bus rules will result in a verbal warning followed by a 3-day suspension, and finally, bus suspension for the year.
The health and safety of our staff are important to us as is the health and safety of our students. Please perform self-checks at home, and DO NOT send your student with any COVID or other illness symptoms.
Pre-K (ECC), Young 5, and Kindergarten students require a Parent/Guardian at the pick-up and drop-off location
(18 or older and listed as an emergency contact).